[Technical] Notebooks for New Staff - DET needs to help

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Feb 24 13:43:56 EST 2006

I think Multics fans can say what they like, Con, but since you've
chosen Wikipedia as an authority on the subject, Multics doesn't even
rate a mention:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_operating_systems , and there
are so many myths about it, the first website you've given has in fact
devoted a page to these claims:  http://www.multicians.org/myths.html

VMS, OS400 and Unix didn't 'invent' preemptive tasking, protected memory
and multiple CPUs, any more than Google invented web searches. They
implemented known, existing theoretical ideas about computing. Cutler,
Soltis and Thompson/Ritchie all have university backgrounds and had done
their homework.

Cheers,
Clarky

Important -