[Technical] Notebooks for New Staff - DET needs to help

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Fri Feb 24 13:26:43 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 12:27:58PM +1100, Clark, Ian C wrote:

> I think it's true to say that Frank Soltis' System38/AS400, Cutler's
> RSX/VMS/NT and Thompson/Richie's UNIX were all written taking into
> account the principles of 1960s academic OS design.

Specifically, Multics:

 http://www.multicians.org/
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multics

Multics was the 'idea' mother of most modern OSes. The joke is that Unix
(formerly Unics) is 'just one of what Multics was many of.' Thompson &
Richie (both AT&T Bell Labs staffers at the time) were seconded to the
Multics project at MIT and only wrote Unix as a way to regain that
platform's capabilities when they came back to Bell.