[Technical] Help Request - XP+Office extreme slowness

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Feb 20 10:19:18 EST 2006

Hi Keith,

To make it easier to diagnose, you need to remove factors from the
problem. One is the Novell print queues.

To do that, delete the printer on a test workstation, and install one of
your network printers, printing to it directly rather than going through
your server ... E.g. in the Add Printers wizard, choose a Local printer
(means the spooling happens on the workstation's own hard disk), create
a TCP/IP port for the printer (putting in the printer's address), choose
the right driver, and print first a test page, then a notepad document,
then an Office document.

The results of these tests guide what you do next.

> I have also seen this on one PC connected directly to the
> printer via LPT when the printer is in standby / powersave mode.

This is probably a separate issue. If the Default Printer is not
available when the app starts up, this can cause a delay, because the
page is actually rendered to your screen using that printer's driver.

Cheers,
Clarky

Important -