[Technical] RE: Network Monitring Software

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Feb 14 11:04:03 EST 2006

________________________________

	From: tech-bounces at edulists.com.au
[mailto:tech-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Hopkinson, Chris C
	Sent: Tuesday, 14 February 2006 9:36 AM
	To: Technical Discussion in Schools Mailing List
	Subject: Network Monitring Software

	We have some spurious network traffic which is slowing down our
network at the moment. I suspect a faulty NIC, but I haven't got the
time right now to track it down.

	Can anyone recomend any useful network monitoring software that
doesn't cost a fortune?

	Chris Hopkinson
	Bairndale SC

Hi Chris,

Just be aware that when you run such software (and Ethereal is good!),
you only get the traffic on your current shared ethernet domain.

If your school had only hubs, that would be all traffic in the school.

If your school only had switches, that would be only the traffic in and
out of your own cable and NIC.

Cheers,
Clarky

Important -