[Technical] Linux

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Tue May 17 12:39:56 EST 2005

At 11:23 AM 17/05/2005, you wrote:
>On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 10:55:47AM +1000, Jim Maunder wrote:
> > [snipped]

> > >What proportion of staff objected?
> >
> > Our Prep to Yr 6 girls had no trouble with Linux - in French! ;-)
> >

>Interesting.
>
>Can you reconcile the perspective that some industry pundits have which
>essentially states that people are not migrating to Linux because it is too
>hard for normal users?

No. I reckon that Windows (tm) is too hard for the normal user as well! In
a workplace, some techo has to install the software and apps, then
configure it all to suit the local environment. It does not matter if it is
Windows or Linux - normal users usually don't have to do this. In both
cases they have to be shown how to logon, how to get to their network
resources, how to use the proprietary software (if any). In either case
they might need a little support while they get used to the office suite
and/or email client. My only reservation is that out of the box (ie
untweaked), Linux runs appreciably slower than Windows on the same
platform. However, most Linux distros come with just about every
application a user would need, saving the techo the trouble of installing
them post OS installation. But I must admit that if something goes rwong
Linuxwise I have no idea about what to do - I can set it up and use it, but
that's it.

Young students are not afraid that what they do might break something like
some grown-ups are - they just follow the teachers' instructions for a bit
and then pick it up from there. To them it is all new. In our case we had
only one teacher (the French immersion teacher) using Linux, and she took
it home on her laptop and sussed it out herself.

rgds
Jim

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia