[Technical] Linux

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Tue May 17 09:37:55 EST 2005

Hi Lorraine,

 We have a number of RedHat/Fedora Linux servers ( as well as teaching servers and workstations for VET IT Cert III ).
 We run Squid as our proxy and authentication and internet log gateway, sendmail, apache for some webs, moodle, Open office for some teaching aspects of alternative integrated application packages, similarly JBuilder to teach programming and the portability of java on multiple platforms and a number of other applications. We also use fetchmail to collect all staff emails that live on other servers ( eg. edumail for Govt schools ) and dump them in their school email mailbox. This saves monitoring 2 locations for emails.
 There are many other applications and uses to which we put our handful of Linux servers and workstations.

Regards

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
Mailing List(s) Creator and Administrator
http://www.edulists.com.au
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> RUSSELL at avila.vic.edu.au 05/17/05 07:43am >>>
Hi Lorraine,

We use Suse for our firewall/proxy server and also have 2 Suse machines running internal sites - Moodle and a students intranet.  We did trial Suse on the desktop last year for one room.  Response from staff was generally supportive, although some vocal members objected to not having access to Windows.  Currently we run XP on all desktops, Novell as the network, but will probably move to Novell's OES at the end of this year.

cheers

Russell

Russell Curr
Network Manager
Avila College
Ph: 9831-9645
Fax: 03-9888-1202
email: russell at avila.vic.edu.au

>>> lbignell at ivanhoegirls.vic.edu.au 05/16/05 05:59pm >>>

Is anyone running their network or desktops on Linux rather than Novell
or Windows. If so what software do you use to run with it.

Lorraine Bignell
Ivanhoe Girls' Grammar School
123 Marshall Street
Ivanhoe    Vic   3079
ph  9490 6271
fax  9490 6200
Disclaimer:  Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material
contained in this email is free from computer viruses or other defects,
the attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that
the user assumes all responsibility for use of the material transmitted.
This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately
by return email or telephone +61 3 9490 6222 and destroy the original
message.