[Technical] Using IRC for student development collaboration

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Aug 23 10:45:50 EST 2005

> Here's my concept.
>
> Install a drop-in IRC server on a single PC, which is
> switched on and off when lessons start and finish. Only you
> and your students have access to it - everyone signs in with
> their real names and you log all activity to reduce
> uncorroborated shenanigans.

Hi Con,

Yes, they're the sort of limitations on the technology that schools can
use.

I wouldn't have thought that IRC happening only in a room between kids
who can already talk to each other is the best use of the application,
but some people might have some really good specific uses.

> You monitor activity as it happens, but let the students
> share code and ideas as much as possible.
>
> Simple. Easy.
>
> I don't see the pain you guys do, but then, I don't teach.
> Tell me it's not that hard.

As easy as it was for Schwarzenegger in "Kindergarten Cop"?

Tell him, guys and gals!  :-)

It's true that techies from the business world have trouble
understanding the requirements of a school network (which is almost
always more complicated), and that the community as a whole has trouble
seeing past "all those holidays" and understanding the trials and
tribulations of teachers.

Cheers,
Clarky

Disclaimer: I was a chalkie myself for twelve years!

Important -