[Technical] Interestingcomputers-in-education

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Aug 8 12:27:29 EST 2005

Hi Stephen,

Yes, the Apple II kind of killed it.

> Amazing to think what could happen if Australian Governement
> thought of all government expenditures as part of an industry
> development fund.....

Well, historically Australian governments have been protectionist.

We subsidized industries and thanks to the Federal Government acquiring
during the war the right to tax income, started after 1945 our local car
and film industries, a national airline, a telecommunications carrier
and so on. As an old lefty politically, I'm proud Australia achieved
this.

But unfortunately, the trend these days, with bipartisan support, is
globalization, privatization and free trade agreements.

Even though I work in it, I'm not sure the IT industry should be propped
up artificially against the EU, Asia and the United States by taxpayers'
dollar any more than our textile, car, sugar or entertainment
industries.

You could give pretty good cases for protecting them too by "winding the
clock back" on the rest of the world.

Cheers,
Clarky

Important -