[Systems Engineering Teachers' Mailing List] Out-of-Field Teaching Research

Laura Murphy pl at datta.vic.edu.au
Sun Oct 8 22:24:47 UTC 2023

Morning everyone, and happy Monday! We've received the following email from a researcher at Monash University who is looking at the impact of being an out-of-field teacher on educators. If you are able to take part, you can contact Patricia directly. Thanks, Laura

Dear Teacher,

My name is Patricia Harry, and I am a PhD student at Monash University. I am emailing to invite you to take part in my study about out-of-field teaching by completing an online interview. Out-of-field teaching refers to the practice of assigning teachers to teach subjects in which they have little or no formal training. It is expected that completing the interview will take no longer than 1 hour.

In this phase of my study, I am investigating teachers’ experiences when teaching in-field and out-of-field with a focus on how teachers feel and the supports they receive. Benefits from participating include an opportunity to share personal experiences and help the profession through a greater understanding of the issue of out-of-field teaching, including the effect on teachers’ feelings. Further understanding of the differences between a positive or negative out-of-field teaching experiences could lead to ways to decrease negative experiences for teachers and improve outcomes for their students.  Any data from the interview will be deidentified before publication to maintain confidentiality.

If you are interested in more information or participating in this study, please contact Patricia Harry at patricia.harry at monash.edu<mailto:patricia.harry at monash.edu>.

This PhD research is supervised by Prof. Colleen Vale, Dr. Jennifer Hall, and Dr. Marc Pruyn from Monash University. Approval for this research has been granted by Monash University Human Research Ethics Committee (MUHREC).

If you would like any further information on this study, please contact one of the researchers using the following contact information:

Prof Colleen Vale
Faculty of Education
Phone: 03 9904 4230
Email: colleen.vale at monash.edu<mailto:colleen.vale at monash.edu>

Dr Jennifer Hall
Faculty of Education
Phone: 03 9905 9337
Email: jennifer.hall at monash.edu<mailto:jennifer.hall at monash.edu>

Dr Marc Pruyn

Faculty of Education
Phone: 03 9904 4325
Email: marc.pruyn at monash.edu<mailto:marc.pruyn at monash.edu>

Patricia Harry
Faculty of Education

Phone: 0407 825 305
Email: patricia.harry at monash.edu<mailto:patricia.harry at monash.edu>

Thank you for considering this request.

 Sincerely,

[image.png]

Prof. Colleen Vale                          Dr. Jennifer Hall                             Dr. Marc Pruyn                 Patricia Harry

Chief Investigator                         Co-Investigator                             Co-Investigator                 Co-Investigator