[Year 12 SofDev] Review of the year and the new study design

Philip Feain feainp at stkevins.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 17 15:35:51 AEDT 2016

Dear Chris

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. This was always going to be an interesting
year. Next year will be much better.

This year definitely reinforced the fact that students need to be more
organised. They need to plan and know where their SAT is going and how they
are going to get there. They also need to know how to write and this was
the concern for me. There was much more written content for this style of
assessment than even the CATs in the 90s. I am going to break down the
descriptors in each criterion similar to the way I go through exam
questions next year. Things such as, what is a strategy? How do you develop
a strategy? Give examples, etc. The trick for improving their performance
is to get students to plan or map out their task over this coming summer
against the criteria and then get them to justify this to you early next
year. Ask them to have diagrams, mock-ups, samples of code, etc.

Students did struggle initially with the difference between SAC-type tasks
and the SAT-type, particularly with managing their work between
observations and submissions. In SACs in the past the students new to go
home each night and get thinking for the next class. In SATs some of them
were completing work at the last minute. This was never going to help them.
I'm thinking of two weeks between submissions and at least two observations
for each one on the authentication record.

I had some problems early on with students not submitting by the time I
wanted the tasks on the day due. After a few criterion I then emailed them
and their parents the night before each deadline. No problems with
submission from that point on.

Also I found marking criterion by criterion was great for feedback to
students. I just had to find a quiet day in each fortnight and then go
through them all. Allowed early intervention with the slacker and
struggling to cope students.

Regards

Phil Feain.

Phil Feain

*Head of eLearning*
*Head of Information Technology*
*St. Kevin's College*

--
This email message does not represent the view of St Kevins College, is
intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information that may be