[Year 12 SofDev] Quicksort in practice

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon Nov 14 19:09:20 AEDT 2016

Hi, quick sorting fans

In case you don't have a herd of Hungarian Dancers to enact a quick sort
for your class (but they are on YouTube <https://youtu.be/ywWBy6J5gz8>),
may I suggest this for a practical exercise for your next SD cohort?

Take a *deck of cards *and extract the 13 cards of one suit, just to keep
things manageable.

Shuffle the cards and use them for a quick sort. Use (maybe) a *pencil* as
a "wall" between the 2 arrays, and (maybe) an *eraser or pencil sharpener*
to sit on the pivot card.

I found it made the theory of quick sort easier to understand, and  it made
me irresistible to members of the opposite sex at parties*.

Only then can you staple random numbers to your SD students and get them to
enact a live human quick sort in front of the entire school at a general
assembly.**

Regards
Mark

*This is a lie.
I was irresistible to members of the opposite sex even before the quick
sort card trick.

** Warning - criminal conviction may result. Also, be sure to buy some
bandaids. Those staple wounds can be *really* nasty. It may be the last
time I'm invited to speak at a general assembly at THAT school.

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com