[Year 12 SofDev] sofdev Digest, Vol 140, Issue 19

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Nov 10 16:27:19 AEDT 2016

On 10 November 2016 at 15:52, Sandra Mobbs <s.mobbs at cccc.vic.edu.au> wrote:

> I would have thought by the phrasing "..including associative arrays (or
> dictionaries, or hash tables)..." that the question would be asked in a way
> that wouldn't directly test hash tables. It was discussed on this list back
> on the 29 September and hash tables were listed as something that not all
> students had to know.

Hi Sandra

I asked this at the end of 2015...

*"Maybe someone can help with this, or it might require Paula.In SD U4O1
KK2 it refers to "uses of data structures to organise and manipulate data,
including associative arrays (or dictionaries or hash tables)"I'm not sure
how to interpret the 'or's after 'including'. Does it mean"- dictionaries
and hash tables are synonyms for associative arrays?- we may choose between
dictionaries and hash tables and associative arrays?Neither of those makes
much sense.  What does it mean in terms of teaching KK?"*

There was no reply from VCAA.

You said that "hash tables were listed as something that not all students
had to know".
Who listed that? If it wasn't VCAA, it was an opinion, but not canonical.

As I've said before publicly on this list, my understanding is that all 3
terms (assoc arrays, dictionaries, hash tables) are *synonyms* from VCAA's
POV.
Since VCAA has not contradicted this, I can only assume it's true.

Regards,
Mark

<snip>

mark at vceit.com