[Year 12 SofDev] What I want for testing in Criterion 7

Philip Feain feainp at stkevins.vic.edu.au
Thu Aug 4 09:24:35 AEST 2016

Dear All

I have asked my students for a testing table with the following headings:
- Item tested
- Test data
- Expected result
- Actual result
- Works
- Meets requirements

I thought about a column for a description, but thought it might just lead
to taking up more time. I am thinking of getting students to print out
their testing table and to annotate it.

Things that need to be tested:
- Validation - existence, range and type - test for correct and incorrect
data
- Writing to files
- Reading from files
- Searching files
- Sorting files
- Adding to files
- Deleting from files
- Editing files
- Menu items
- Buttons - Clear - Calculations - a variety of tests to show working
- Viewing reports/ data in listboxes
- Security - Logins/encryption/authentication

Tests should show what is working and what is not working.

I have included the Meets requirements column so students can have a quick
reference to see how their solution is meeting requirements for when they
write their report later.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Phil.

--
Phil Feain

*Head of eLearning*
*Head of Information Technology*
*St. Kevin's College*

--
This email message does not represent the view of St Kevins College, is
intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information that may be