[Year 12 SofDev] SD sample exam - A17

Mark mark at vceit.com
Wed Aug 3 13:26:16 AEST 2016

Hi, sorting fans

I refer to the SD sample exam question A17.

*Question 17*
Compared to quick sort, the selection sort algorithm, on average, is best
described as
*A.* being more complex and taking less time to sort a list.
*B.* being more complex and taking more time to sort a list.
*C.* being less complex and taking more time to sort a list.
*D.* being less complex and taking less time to sort a list.

The answer given is *A*.

Since *when* is selection sort more complex and faster than quick sort?

Wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorting_algorithm#Inefficient_sorts> says -
under the heading of 'Inefficient Sorts' (with my emphases added)...
"Selection sort is an in-place comparison sort. It has O(n^2) complexity,
making it *inefficient* on large lists, and generally *performs worse* than
the similar insertion sort. Selection sort is noted for its *simplicity*,
and also has performance advantages over more complicated algorithms in
certain situations."

I think something is very wrong with the answer given in the solution. It
should be D.

Does VCAA stand by their answer?

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com