[Year 12 SofDev] SAT Data Collection queries and issues

Cope, Michael S cope.michael.s at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun Apr 24 09:17:58 AEST 2016

Hello,
I have a small group of SD students located in a (relatively) county area of Kooweerup. Whilst most of the students have valid ideas for their SAT, they are really struggling with the concept of gathering meaningful data from a real life situation. Most live in isolated areas and do not regularly interact with people who they can form a professional(?) relationship with. I have read with interest the notes from Lisa Keretes (thank you Lisa) posted after her holiday meeting and will go back to my students with these suggestions, but I feel that this part of the SAT is placing a lot of unnecessary stress on my students. I understand that the first part of the SAT can be marked/corrected prior to moving towards the second part, with corrections/suggestions by the teacher given out so as not to unduly penalise students for a poor start, but how can a teacher make up for poor data collection without making it up?
How are other teachers coping with this situation?
Thanks
Mike Cope
Kooweerup Secondary College