[Year 12 SofDev] SD 2016

Esther Andrews ANDREWS.Esther at BSSC.EDU.AU
Mon Oct 5 15:43:54 AEDT 2015

Great questions Adrian.
I do not envy you trying to make sense of it all. You know we are all relying on your clear thinking!
With regard to your questions, would these things be relevant:

·         Inaccuracies of data stored in one of the databases causing conflict between the two versions – which one is the correct one?

·         How is the correct version to be determined? By most recently updated?

·         How can the stakeholder (member of the public) determine who to contact to fix the error?

I just googled and found this excerpt which seems to list a number of ideas:
http://searchdatamanagement.techtarget.com/feature/Thirteen-causes-of-enterprise-data-quality-problems

Am I on track?

Stakeholders can include the workers and the people about whom the data is stored. Thinking of the Woolworths Everyday Rewards system for example, you could think of a great many advantages and disadvantages for both the Corporation and the shopper. As a shopper you have timely reminders about specials, quick access to shopping list suggestions, etc. But there are disadvantages for shoppers (spam, privacy) that are not actually because the system is poorly designed.

Regards,
Esther.
From: sofdev-bounces at edulists.com.au [mailto:sofdev-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Adrian Janson
Sent: Monday, 5 October 2015 3:12 PM
To: Edulists - Year 12 Software Development <sofdev at edulists.com.au>
Subject: [Year 12 SofDev] SD 2016

Hi everyone,

I am a little torn with two of the (last) KK points for the new study and wanted to see if you had any ideas / advice?  BTW - I have finished the text and have sent it to an editor - while in the meantime attending to the technical additions and questions that you have offered via the dropbox (please do keep doing this - now is the time!!)

So in Unit 4, Outcome 2, we have:

"data management practices that cause conflict between information systems, including data mining"

Now I have spoken about things like a lack of standards or enforcement of these (for example - database structures that are different between systems), but I am struggling to think of many more.

I also feel that the "including data mining" is a bit of a curve ball - as my understanding was that data mining was drilling down in a data set to extract as much information as possible and makes links - but this is not something that you would do with data that isn't yours?? (I may be wrong!!)

We also have the KK point:

"advantages and disadvantages for stakeholders affected by the operation of information systems"

Again it may just be because (being so close to the end of the text), my mind has turned to mush - but I can't make much of this...

Is it just that an effective IS is good because it is fast, responsive, does it's job,etc. and a poorly designed IS means that stakeholders can lose data, waste time, etc.??

Thanks in advance!!!
Adrian Janson