[Year 12 SofDev] SD 2016

PIKE Philip pikep at bmg.vic.edu.au
Mon Oct 5 15:44:14 AEDT 2015

HI Adrian,
Data management practices that could cause conflict between information systems could include Incompatibility, i.e. output from one system is unable to be directly inputted into another system, or the systems don’t talk to each other as promised by the vendor. It is very easy for vendors to then blame the other party as to why their system doesn’t talk to the other system. E.g. timetable programs and student administration packages.
You could also mention data types and  data fields. EG one system calls a person by their Lastname and the other uses Surname.  One system stores postcode as numeric and the other as string may cause conflict between systems
Could access permissions also cause a conflict, as someone who can read data out of one system needs to input data into another system, but doesn’t have permissions. System Admins can be very protective of permissions.

With disadvantages of IS for stakeholders, could you include deskilling or job loss of employees as the work is done by the IS. An advantage could be upskilling as some users will require more training  and may get a pay rise as a result of the introduction of a new IS.
Business owners as stakeholders have the disadvantage of paying for the purchase and installation of a new IS and there are the obvious advantages of cost savings due to requiring less staff or having computer systems work more efficiently than manual systems.
Customers may have the advantage of more convenience, such as access to an ATM or reduced costs e.g. online banking. The disadvantage could be loss of personal contact, partially if you are trying to get an issue resolved and trying to explain  the problem to Mumbai rather than talking face to face.
( bit of a back to the future response from the old IPM days )

Regards

[cid:bmglogo157aee38]

Philip Pike
Director of ICT

Bacchus Marsh Grammar
T. 03 5366 4893  F. 03 5366 4850
E. pikep at bmg.vic.edu.au  W. http://www.bmg.vic.edu.au
South Maddingley Road | PO Box 214 | Bacchus Marsh Victoria 3340