[Year 12 SofDev] SD text 2016

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 10:22:46 AEST 2015

Hi everyone,
Thank you to those people that have sent me messages (yes - off list Mark *cough cough*) to be a part of the dropbox group. Anyone can join - so please feel free to continue to email me (off list) and I can add you in.  I did want to write something briefly about the process and the way I have been putting this all together.
The very first thing that I did was to go through the new study design and work out what was new and what wasn't in the course any longer. Based on this, I removed this 'old' content from the 2nd edition of the text.
I then went through all of the areas of study in the new study design and grouped them into 'chapters' that felt logical to me. Note that the flow of the study is not very continuous if you read it from AOS1 all the way through to the end - but this isn't the intent of the study. From my perspective though - writing a text - you want it to flow in a logical manner from beginning to end. For this reason, you will find that some chapters will pull content from 1 or 2 AOSs and some may pull content from 3 or 4! Yes - that does mean that when you are preparing a student for an assessment task that they will probably have to refer to several chapters. But the flip side of that is that when you are teaching the theory and moving your way through the course, *hopefully* the text will have a logical flow to it! I have based the flow of the text on the PSM.
The next thing that I did was divide up all of the AOS dot points amongst the chapters. Every dot point is represented.
In having a look at the files that I upload to the dropbox folder, could you please do the following (below). While there is no obligation to do anything at all, I want to make sure I produce the best quality text for the subject - not only for my own piece of mind, but also because it will make your job easier. AND if you wait till November to say "oh it would have been good to include XYZ" - it will be too late.
Please comment on any spelling or grammar errors that you find - that would be very much appreciated!
I have tried to limit the amount of *extra* material that I have included, so that students have a better idea about what they will be examined on, but if you feel that there are sections that could be expanded a little or if some sections could do with an expanded explanation, please let me know.  Note that I have put a note against anything that is not examinable - for example, I included material on the DeBono hats as an example of a brainstorming technique - but it is not in the course. I was in two minds whether doing things like this were in students best interests, but I think that they are on balance.
I am in two minds about the value of the chapter questions. I think they are good as I used to 'force' my students to answer them as a method (albiet crude) of ensuring that they read the text from front to back. Suggestions for more chapter questions are very welcome!
Thanks in advance!Adrian