[Year 12 SofDev] DTLV 2014 Exam 2 Section C Question 3a

Claudia Graham claudia.graham at overnewton.vic.edu.au
Thu Oct 16 09:51:36 EST 2014

Hi David,

I would probably approach it as Damien has suggested.

Last year the exam had a question similar 6b - this is what was in examiner report

Students needed to discuss using the code of ethics and/or decision support frameworks to help resolve the ethical dilemma.

Many students found it difficult to identify the ethical dilemma of whether George should use the code; instead they concentrated on the illegal downloading of the code. Many responses incorrectly stated 'just stop using the code' as the way he could resolve the dilemma. Students are reminded that answers should apply to the case study.

The following is an example of a high-scoring student response.
His ethical dilemma is that if he uses the software off the internet without permission, he could be in breach of the Copyright Act 1968, but by using the software it will make the development process of the software be much quicker (more efficiency). To resolve the ethical dilemma, George must consult the company's code of ethics and decision support framework to see what the best method to go about creating the software is, and to see what company policy says about using other people intellectual property.

Regards
Claudia

Claudia Graham
VCE Coordinator