[Year 12 SofDev] DTLV 2014 Exam 2 Section C Question 3a

Howard, David dhoward at stmichaels.vic.edu.au
Thu Oct 16 08:46:34 EST 2014

Morning,

Question

LifeTech have a partnership with a pharmaceutical research company OmniPharm. OmniPharm have requested to have access to the data coming out of the watches so they can gauge the effectiveness of their drug and the new delivery system. LifeTech have asked you, the developer, to make this possible.

a. Explain a possible ethical dilemma that may arise from this decision. Propose a methodology that could be used to manage this dilemma.

Since the Health Records Act allows this data to be sent for research (if the data is de-identified), I don't see show this question makes any sense.

I would be framing the question more around, under what conditions are LifeTech allowed to transmit this data and which Act sets the legislation for this?

Thoughts?

David Howard
Head of Learning Systems        [https://services.stmichaels.vic.edu.au/community/icons/Icon_Twitter.png] <http://twitter.com/StMichaelsGS>   [https://services.stmichaels.vic.edu.au/community/icons/Icon_FB.png] <https://services.stmichaels.vic.edu.au/fb.cfm>   [https://services.stmichaels.vic.edu.au/community/icons/Icon_LinkedIn.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/st-michael%27s-grammar-school>
25 Chapel Street, St Kilda VIC 3182 Australia   [https://services.stmichaels.vic.edu.au/community/logo/SMGS_Logo_tall_100_2013_96d.png] <https://www.stmichaels.vic.edu.au/>
t       +61 3 8530 3272                         e       dhoward at stmichaels.vic.edu.au<mailto:dhoward at stmichaels.vic.edu.au>
f       +61 3 9510 3161 w       stmichaels.vic.edu.au<https://www.stmichaels.vic.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider 00345G