[Year 12 SofDev] FW: SD 2012 post mortem

Kevork KROZIAN kkrozian at ringwoodsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Nov 20 12:10:39 EST 2012

 Hi Folks,

 Section C Q10b - only 1 mark , however

The question states:

Not all numbers between 3000 and 3999 are used as postcodes in Victoria. Ilma decides to include a function that checks whether the entered number matches a postcode that is used in Victoria. How is this type of validation best described ?

The only  validation mentioned in the study design is :

        validation techniques, including existence checking, range checking

and type checking   ( SAC31 )

Existence checking is ensuring that data is entered.

        Wikipedia describes the type of validation mentioned here as :

        Table Look Up Check

        A table look up check takes the entered data item and compares it to

a valid list of entries that are stored in a database table.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_validation [1]

      If a student says I didn't answer the question because it wasn't one of the validation types we studied what would our answer be apart from never leave a blank?

Part (a) covers type (  a number )  and range ( 3000 to 3999 inclusive ) and existence as outlined in the introduction to the question.

If used postcodes between 3000 and 3999 were contiguous a further range check could be carried out. But the question does not offer a hint here.  Are students expected to know the answer to this ?

So, if (since) the new validation description asked is not one of the three mentioned in the study design what is the answer ?

Speak soon

Kevork Krozian
IT Pathways Manager
Ringwood Trade Training Facility
Tel: 0419 356 034

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of Ringwood Secondary College.