[Year 12 SofDev] Ideas for SAC41

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Mon Jun 25 21:48:32 EST 2012

Hi Folks,

I have been thinking about problem scenarios for the next outcome and I had
a few ideas that may be useful either as a teaching activity or as the SAC
itself.

1.       2D arrays - booking system for a theatre   OR  booking for
aeroplane seats. These could be arranged to appear as a 2D array on the user
screen with a green colour for available and red colour for booked. All
seats could be initialized to "0" to indicate free or available.  If booked
the cell could hold a comma delimited string holding details of the person
to occupy the seat with a phone number perhaps.

2.       A queue could be a 2D array of customers ( or an array of objects
each describing a customer ) awaiting roadside service with a variable to
hold the head and the tail position of the queue. Alternatively, the queue
could hold customers waiting for service on the phone, or customers who have
placed orders online  for lunch orders at a canteen. Head and tail of the
queue could progress based on people served or new arrivals.

3.       A stack is possibly the least attractive for a practical problem.
One could try to convert an infix expression to a postfix one, or evaluate a
postfix expression using a stack. Fairly dry and unexciting  I would expect.
Anyone for a non-recursive Towers of Hanoi problem ?

Any other ideas ? It would be interesting to hear what colleagues have in
mind or have used in the past.

Kind Regards

Kevork Krozian

Edulists Creator Administrator