[Year 12 SofDev] Text Files in VB.NET

Shane Dawson shaned at sjc.vic.edu.au
Fri Apr 27 12:41:16 EST 2012

Here is one way, using the .split element that allows you to designate what the splitting character is.

Private Sub Exchange_Calculator_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        'opens the selected file
        Dim openFile As StreamReader = File.OpenText("rates.txt")
        'each line of the rates.txt file contains the following information as a csv file
        'strcountry is each country, stored as a seperate element in rates.txt
        'strcurrency is each country, stored as a seperate element in rates.txt
        'strrate is each rate, stored as a seperate element in rates.txt
        Dim C As Integer = 0
        Do While openFile.Peek <> -1

            'there are 5 students in the the file.
            strexchange = openFile.ReadLine()
            'Each element of StrSplit is gotten from whatever is read, seperated
            'by a comma
            strsplit = strexchange.Split(",")

            ' Load split text into an array
            strarraysplit(0, C) = strsplit(0)
            strarraysplit(1, C) = strsplit(1)
            strarraysplit(2, C) = strsplit(2)
            strarraysplit(3, C) = strsplit(3)
            C = C + 1

        Loop

        'close the file
        openFile.Close()

        'load lists
        For J As Integer = 0 To C - 1
            lstCountry.Items.Add(strarraysplit(0, J))
            lstCurrency.Items.Add(strarraysplit(1, J))
            lstRate.Items.Add(strarraysplit(2, J))
            lstSymbol.Items.Add(strarraysplit(3, J))
        Next

    End Sub