[Year 12 SofDev] Use Case Questions

Stebbing, Nicholas N stebbing.nicholas.n at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sat Apr 14 22:53:46 EST 2012

Hi all,

                I've spent much of today going through the archives of this list trying to glean as much info as I can about use case diagrams and Outcome 1 in general. I have to say this list is outstanding, the knowledge and resources shared is awesome.

                I am left with some questions about use case diagrams to help me assessing SAC 1...

1.       Should things like "Printing invoice" and "Place printout in tray" be considered as use cases to go on a UCD?
(I've been telling my students no because they are not important functions of the system. They can be thought of as steps that are taken to complete the functions. Is this right? Could I be explaining it better?)

2.       Many of my students have linked all of the different use cases up into a tangled web of includes and extends. At what point should they be separated?
(I've been thinking about this and have a couple of ideas. Firstly it seems that if an actor is associated with a use case then we can assume they are associated with any use cases that extend from or are included in it. So one point at which we need to separate cases is when one use case could be considered to extend from another but is performed by a different actor. For example if one person prepares an invoice but another person prints it they would have to be entirely separate use cases. Does this sound right?)

Thanks in anticipation of any advice,

Nick Stebbing
ICT Teacher
Bayside P-12 College