[Year 12 SofDev] CSE/IARTV trial exam - question C8 solution

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Mon Oct 17 15:42:34 EST 2011

Hi.  My last response to the exam, then we can all get some sleep.

In the solution to the last question on laws, the suggested answer refers to
the Information Privacy Act, but this act only applies to the Victorian
Public Service and its private sector contractors. It does not apply to
other commercial organisations.

It also refers to the Privacy Act, but unless the organisation...
- turns over more than $3m a year, or
- makes a profit from trading in personal info, or
- holds health info on customers, or
- is a federal gov't organisation, or
- volunteered to be subject to the act
... the act does not apply - and none of those things are even hinted at in
the case study.

Of course there is a moral obligation for honourable businesses to abide by
the intent of the act even if they're not subject to it, but that's a
different matter.

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Edulist <http://www.edulists.com.au/>

Want a good time? Call 0112358. Ask for Mr Fibonacci.