[Year 12 SofDev] Thoughts on the CSE/IARTV SD exam

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Mon Oct 17 11:45:43 EST 2011

Question C4a. Karl suggests that before checking the validity of a whole
credit card number, a check could be made to establish the type of card.
Then it asks, "What does Karl have in mind?"

The suggested answer is to ask the customer for their card type and then
check that the CC number starts with the proper digits. But it doesn't
explain _why_ Karl would want to do this.

I can only assume that a quick and easy check of the card type can detect
invalid card types before going to the further and unnecessary trouble of
checking the rest of the card number.

Is that what you folk thought?

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au