[Year 12 SofDev] structural characteristics of input data

Don Morelli (Optus) da_morelli at optusnet.com.au
Sun May 22 20:11:51 EST 2011

I would also be willing to count dropdown lists/combo boxes or radio buttons
or tools of this kind as part of the structural characteristics of input
data, particularly if you are using it to allow users to select data from a
finite list so that you have better control over user input. My view is
backed up by referring to the particular exam question that Maggie mentions.
I would say that the structure of the input data is a limited range of
inputs for each question (closed set), with scope to add additional comments
and that the programmer should allow the data entry operator to select these
from a list or select A to E (or however many choices). How else would you
answer this otherwise?
I am interested to hear if others have given a different structural
characteristic for this question.
Cheers
Don Morelli
(Mount Lilydale Mercy College)