[Year 12 SofDev] Loops and Arrays exercises - for VB

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue May 17 14:17:53 EST 2011

Hi all.  Today I started seriously tackling arrays and loops with the kids,
so I threw together some exercises for the kids.

Attached, with solutions. Enjoy.

BTW, I had a breakthrough moment with kids' recognition of the importance of
algorithms today.  I asked them how you would thinking goes into choosing
what notes and coins (and how many) you would need to give someone a certain
amount of change.  They could all do it, obviously, but working out the
strategy had them truly stumped for a while.  It led neatly into the
importance of verbalising and expressing algorithms because they couldn't
create code from intuition.

We walked through a strategy on the board using concrete test data examples,
and then coded it with arrays and loops and it all fell together nicely.

I then moved on to 2D arrays, then got carried away and introduced them to
3D and 4D and 5D arrays, which perhaps was a little much...

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

Want a good time? Call 0112358. Ask for Mr Fibonacci.