[Year 12 SofDev] VITTA VCE resource - a response to some concerns

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu May 12 16:02:47 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

I wanted to write a response to some of the emails and suggestions that we
have been receiving about the VCE resource.  We have heard all of this
feedback and are acting on it!

Many of you have said that you feel that the resource is 'light-on' and I
understand this completely.  At this stage in its development - it is - and
we had hoped to have much more material in the resource for you at this
stage.  We have teachers working on resources which will be added shortly
and in a continual fashion over the year (and for the life of the study).
The previous study design resource kit had a large amount of general theory
content and we had decided not to replicate this for this new resource - but
we have had a lot of feedback from those wanting this.  We will examine the
content that we have in the previous resource, update and refresh it and add
it to the new resource.  We have always seen 'exams' and the VCE resource as
being two separate products - and this will continue to be the case -
however, in response to some of your suggestions, we are working on creating
a resource out of the previous 4 years worth of exam papers - for this new
resource - which will be added shortly.

One of the problems that we encountered with the previous VCE IT resource
kit, was that it was a CD based product produced in advance of the advice to
teachers - which VCAA felt was not ideal.  This time around, we have been
very careful to have materials proofed (both by teachers of the subject and
by VCAA) - to ensure that this was not the case.  However, it has certainly
slowed us down - and for this - we apologise.  As many of you would be
acutely aware, this study design is quite different to the last one (and the
last one was quite similar to the one before it) - which has meant it has
taken us much more time to get our heads around the best ways to present the
material and more time in the proofing process.

Yours sincerely,

Adrian

Adrian Janson B.Sc, Dip.Ed, M.Ed
VITTA Vice-President

Director of ICT

Melbourne High School, Forrest Hill, South Yarra, Victoria 3141 Australia.
Phone: 03 9826 0711 International: +61 3 9826 0711
Fax: 03 9826 8767 International: +61 3 9826 8767
E-mail: janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au

Website:  <http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au/> http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au

Blog:  <http://jansona.edublogs.org/> http://jansona.edublogs.org