[Year 12 SofDev] Choosing a Programming langauge for SoftDev

Howard, David dhoward at stmichaels.vic.edu.au
Mon May 9 15:05:55 EST 2011

Hi Ben,

Yes you are correct in a way. When developing a solution for a mobile device you need to take into consideration in the theory component that mobile devices *usually* have

*         Smaller screen resolution

*         Slower network connection

*         Slower CPU and less RAM than desktop

These are all being thrown out the window by 10" tablets running on Telstra 3G and when LTE comes out later this year.

I get students to develop a module of a larger system, the module might be a calculation/quote module which is part of a bigger inventory/sales system. My case studies say that the module is used by sales reps on the rd etc using an iPhone. We make webapps which look and feel like a native app. It allows for integration to the native Google Maps app, email app etc. Webapps however cannot access the camera.

So we have a php page which detects the browser and redirects accordingly. The "mobile" version is designed around sites such as Qantas.com on iPhone etc. I have attached a screen shot. We compare that to the full Qantas website and go from there. You can tell that my iPhone is with Optus!

If you would a like a SAV and solution that will run on a server from last year, let me know and I can send out individually.

Cheers

David Howard
Acting Head of IT & Online Learning

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CC0E5A.984E5E20]

25 Chapel Street, St Kilda VIC 3182 Australia

Phone +61 3 8530 3272
Fax +61 3 9510 9392
Email dhoward at stmichaels.vic.edu.au<mailto:dhoward at stmichaels.vic.edu.au>
Website www.stmichaels.vic.edu.au<http://www.stmichaels.vic.edu.au/>