[Year 12 SofDev] Ethical dilemmas

Dianne Hay Dianne.Hay at knox.vic.edu.au
Mon Aug 29 15:29:42 EST 2011

The activity I use to introduce ethics in Business Management may work for some of you to start off the topic...

I get the students to stand up in an open area (a good one to take outside if the weather is nice) and give them a series of ethical questions/scenarios (they don't have to be IT related for this intro activity - in fact, it works better if they are not IT related).  For each scenario, they must decide between two choices. For choice 1 they have to go to the left side of the room for choice 2 they have to go to the right side - they can not choose the middle

For example: if your house was on fire and you could only save one of the following, which would you save. 1. A bottle containing the cure to cancer or 2. Your dog.

The idea being that they have to consider the consequences of each option and make a choice (many just want to stay in the middle).  It often starts some debates between students, or you can question students as to why they made the choice that they did or why they had such a problem trying to decide.

To help devise a list of dilemmas, you may want to have a look at some of these sites.
http://listverse.com/2007/10/21/top-10-moral-dilemmas/
http://www.differencemakers.com/swapshop/pdf/dilemma_examples.pdf
http://www.friesian.com/valley/dilemmas.htm
http://dornsife.usc.edu/dilemmas-and-case-studies/

Hope this helps

Di Hay
Teacher of Accounting and
Software Development
[cid:image001.gif at 01CC665D.F808A6D0]
The Knox School
A co-educational, independent school with a global perspective
PRE-PREP TO YEAR 12
220 Burwood Highway
Wantirna South VIC 3152
Phone: +61 3 8805 3800