[Year 12 SofDev] Software tracking tools?

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Wed Aug 24 08:12:03 EST 2011

Hi again,

With respect to software that tracks reliability and maintainability of
networks some might say what else can you use if not software ?
Well I am glad you asked.

There is a toolbox of "hardware" in the cisco course for tracking the
reliability and maintainability of networks typically from Fluke, the
manufacturer of hardware to test cables, DHCP servers and signal strength.
Typically devices such as the Linkrunner will tell you the length of UTP
cabling, whether it is straight through or crossover, whether all wires are
correctly crimped at each end and if not which pairs have problems and what
type of problems they are experiencing.  This tool can also tell you how far
from your wall plate to the other end of the cable run, whether a DHCP
server is connected at the other end etc.
Fibre optic tools such as an optical time-domain reflectometer (OTDR) can
tell you how far a length of fibre optic is continuous and functional. A
fascinating problem we had recently was that a fibre run of around 180m was
somehow broken somewhere along the conduit between buildings isolating a
lab. The aforementioned tool identified the break at 31 m from a patch panel
allowing a much more precise localization of the problem and a faster
resolution.
One of the wireless techniques to ensure adequate coverage is the process of
a "site survey" to determine signal strength on a campus again with the use
of hardware and a walk through on site followed by a graphing of the
strength to determine the location and load requirements of access points.

Sorry if this doesn't interest everyone, but please receive it as a FYI and
a bit of background on the skills set students acquire when they study the
Cisco CCNA in any of the secondary schools that are also active Cisco
Academies. It seems to marry nicely with the content of the Software
Development course of which a significant portion is about networks.

Kind Regards

Kevork Krozian
Edulists Creator Administrator
www.edulists.com.au