[Year 12 SofDev] Data dictionary - data formats

Mike Brookes mikebr at tpg.com.au
Wed Apr 6 18:07:31 EST 2011

G'Day Robert

Storing as an integer takes 2 bytes - storing as text takes at least 5
bytes - 1 byte per character + either a byte for the number of
characters in the string or a null byte delimiter.
 From a mathemagical point of view you can put as many zeros in front of
a number as you like without altering its value.
 From a practical point of view, using integers for the postcode can
form an index into an array of suburb names (assuming a single postcode
does not extend over more than one suburb - or maybe expecting a logical
assignment of postcodes stretches things somewhat)

Mike Brookes
Semi retired perfect gentleman ;-)