[Year 12 SofDev] 2011 numbers

Claudia Graham claudia.graham at overnewton.vic.edu.au
Sun Sep 12 13:18:43 EST 2010

I always find this an interesting discussion at this time of year.

We have since 2000 had fairly consistent numbers, so over three different study designs we have had one full class of IPM/ITA of about 20-25, and an SD class of 8-14. The numbers are similar next year with ITA just slipping over the 25 mark to allow us to have two classes. (our Year 11-12 cohort is about 360) Year 11 and Year 10 have solid numbers, with year 10 having 4-6 semester electives running most years.

We have not been able to sustain any VET classes (we tend to go against the trend in this area), we had it one 2 year cycle a couple of years back.

And I know we often blame the study design but there are so many factors that impact on students decisions to choose a subject. As VCE Coordinator I would say, in general, the exact content of a course has limited influence over selection, other than having to have a general interest in that subject area. Peer group, prerequisites, and certainly not least the teachers they have had as well as the teachers expected to teach the subject have ever increasing influence. Most kids I spoke to about ITA/SD hadn't even realised there were any changes for next year, because they had made the selection on what a teacher said or did and what their friend who is doing it this year said etc. Not sure what we teach is an important as how we teach it.

Regards
Claudia

PS: my 2 cents because I had 5 minute free on a weekend while in the middle of the last SD SAC of the year!

Claudia Graham
VCE Coordinator
Assistant to the Head of Staff (Keilor Campus)
Overnewton College
9334 0049 (direct)