[Year 12 SofDev] VB6 > VB2010 musings

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Sep 10 10:29:12 EST 2010

I've finally bitten the bullet, crawled out my comfort zone (and used
several other clichés) in moving from comfortable ol' threadbare VB6 into
shiny new VB2010 and the transition is not as smooth as I'd hoped it would
be.

The first hurdle I ran into was finding that my favourite old control arrays
have been killed and now I need convoluted complex collections to achieve
nearly the same thing. I read of a rumour that control arrays (wherein VB
manages the necessary classes and collections behind the scenes) would be
reinstated in VB but it seems not to be happening.

And it seems default properties no longer work, e.g. *textbox2="Fred"* has
to be fully spelled out as *textbox2.text="Fred"*.

Sigh. I suppose I'll get used to it in time (after all, I *did* manage to
get from QB4.5 to Visual Basic 1.0), but for a quick hack I still fall back
to VB6 to get the job done.

Information Systems Manager; Reporting Manager
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000, Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
VCE IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

Korma: the philosophy that what you get out of a curry depends on what you
put into it.