[Year 12 SofDev] Use Case dilemma (s)

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Tue Nov 23 18:01:42 EST 2010

Hello Kevork

arrow directions make sense for both include and extend if you think of them as saying "this extends that" - "this" being the tail-end and "that" being the use case pointed at. So, for example, "order wine extends food order" - in other words it adds to its functionality. You can do the same for includes - unfortunately your example doesn't have one.

As for the association with data, DFDs and use cases are not the same and don't serve the same purpose. Use cases are about the system doing something useful for the user and I guess the wikipedia example is trying to illustrate this without getting too technical (??). I imagine if we are talking about an information system then it a use case would ordinarily involve information in some way

 For what its worth, I have attached a doc I prepared some time ago in preparation for the new SD.

Regards
Robert T-A