[Year 12 SofDev] Validation naming

Christophersen, Paula P christophersen.paula.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Dec 16 16:38:41 EST 2010

Dear colleagues

I would like to clarify several statements that have been made about the
content of the study design (2007-2010) and the Software development
examination. The study design does not specifically mention any types of
validation in the key knowledge or in the glossary - it defines
validation in a broad sense (page 52). And the Software development
examination did not assume that students had knowledge of specific types
of validation because a description of each type was provided in the
exam e.g. type - to make sure that only numeric characters have been
entered. This made it quite clear to the students the nature of each of
the listed validation tests so they were all on the 'same page' for this
question - it is never the intention of examinations to be confusing for
students.

Glossaries

IT is one of only four study designs that has a glossary which has the
same status as the study design (as distinct from glossaries that are
part of the Advice for teachers). It took a lot of sweat and tears to
maintain the glossary in the 2011 study design. As has been stated in
the last VCE Bulletin Supplement
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/correspondence/bulletins/2010/November/2010NO
VSUP2.pdf the terms in the glossary are 'ones for which there is not a
consistent definition, so for the purposes of fairness for all students,
definitions are provided'.

Season's greetings

I hope that everyone has a safe and enjoyable break. The first year of
introducing a new study design is demanding, and I know that many people
will be working over the holidays to provide the best opportunities for
their students. But make certain that there is plenty of time you.

I'm finishing work mid next week and will be returning on 17 January.

Regards

Paula

Paula Christophersen

ICT Curriculum Manager