[Year 12 SofDev] SD Exam C4

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Dec 2 12:58:13 EST 2010

VCAA replied today about the validation question C4 in the exam.  They said:

"In relation to VCE IT: Software Development, Section C Question 4 the Panel
Chair and Chief Assessor have provided the following information:

This question is about a validation strategy based on the program
specification. The definition of effectiveness in the Study Design is 'a
measure of how well something works'. The definition also continues with
'measures of an effective information system'; one of these is given as
'communication of message'. This relates to the question where it talks
about the user ... and the program has to provide as much information as
possible about what is wrong. The most effective way of providing this is
therefore null first, existence last. You have assumed that all four tests
are going to be conducted. The statement in the question 'therefore include
these validation tests' cannot be interpreted as 'these tests must be run on
every number'. These tests are included in the program - perhaps using 'if
statements in such a way that the most effective message is returned -
therefore, the question 'place the validation tests in the most effective
order."
A matter of interpretation and assumption, I guess, but it was a confusing
question.

Manager Information Systems
Reporting Manager
IT Learning Area Manager

McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204
Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: +613 8520 9085
Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

My cow died on this day two years ago.  I know because I noted it in my
dairy.