[Year 12 SofDev] Python Resources For Senior Classes

John Weedon john at weedon.id.au
Tue Mar 31 20:20:35 EST 2009

Hello Jack,
There are a few good textbooks suitable for senior secondary students.
I started with Michael Dawson's 'Python Programming for the absolute
beginner'. It's a good intro. to basic programming but doesn't teach
'problem solving' as well as John Zelle's text 'Python Programming: An
introduction to Computer Science'. The title of Zelle's book may sound
too heavy for 16 & 17 year old but Zelle's introduces the whole process
of problem solving and Python syntax in a series of easy to read worked
example. He uses multiple choice question, True/False questions,
practical discussion issues and then well graded problems for coding
related straight back to the textbook at the end of each chapter. The
text comes with a CD with all worked examples.

I've looked closely at the Nutshell text but found Zelle's book much better.

The Python Challenge run by Sydney Uni. is well worth involving your
students. James Curran is the bloke in charge. The teaching resources
provided by the uni. are very good and it's free. You get a certificate
for the students if you pay the $11 registration fee per student. If the
student pay the fee they feel a much higher commitment to the 5-week
challenge. It's graded for students of differing abilities. Sydney uni.
run a mid-year teacher inservice course (4-days) for introductory and
advanced teachers which is very good value.

You can get Zelle's book ISBN 1-887902-99-6 much cheaper on amazon.com
than buying through local suppliers.

Hope this helps.
John Weedon
Maitland Christian School