[Year 12 SofDev] Anyone doing Java?

John Weedon john at weedon.id.au
Wed Mar 25 11:06:18 EST 2009

Hello Allison,
You have my total sympathy for taking on Java. The syntax is horrible
but highly motivated students can handle it.
I have tried JavaScript, VB4, 5, 6 and .Net and Modular 2. I have been
using Python 2.x.x for the last 3 years and find that the at the kids
(Yr10,11 & 12) can more from algorithm design to implementation rather
easily. There are a number of good texts for Python as there is for Java
but the work Sydney uni. is doing "Python Challange" is very encouraging
and caters for novices to super geeks.
My current text is by John Zelle - Python Programming 'Introduction to
Computer Science' which I have used for 2 years.
Enjoy your day,
John