[Year 12 SofDev] structure chart & system flow chart

malcolm mjarb at iname.com
Wed Feb 25 23:07:33 EST 2009

Hello Vi.

Hope the following is of some help.

The following is an extract from Sam Davis text on Software design &
development:

1.     A system flowchart is used to describe the logic and flow of data
through a system.  It describes the interactions that occur between input,
processing, output and storage, as well as the nature of each of these
components.

Used to show an overall view of the entire system.

They are different to the flowcharts used with algorithms even though
similar shapes are used.

2.     A structure diagram is used to model the hierarchy of processes
within a system together with the sequence in which these processes take
place.  They describe a top-down design of the program, together with the
order in which sub-processes are called.  Different symbols to those for a
flowchart are used in these diagrams to indicate repetition, decision,
parameter passing, etc.

Structure diagrams can also be know by the names structure chart, function
chart, call graph, call tree and hierarchy diagrams.

They both (1 and 2) occur at the modelling stage - as in representing a
system using diagrams.  It would be used to help define and understand the
problem.

Also have a look at Mark Kelly's notes at
http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au/vceit/SDLC/sdlc.htm

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=bHb8LFKtw_MC
<http://books.google.com.au/books?id=bHb8LFKtw_MC&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=sdlc+sys
tem+flowchart&source=bl&ots=335RBFGoTN&sig=OyNf5N0A7QAZAUjd_KIDnjnHwtc&hl=en
&ei=_jKlSdenJZCo6gONpp3ZAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPA5,M1>
&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=sdlc+system+flowchart&source=bl&ots=335RBFGoTN&sig=OyNf5N
0A7QAZAUjd_KIDnjnHwtc&hl=en&ei=_jKlSdenJZCo6gONpp3ZAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&re
snum=5&ct=result#PPA5,M1

http://acct.tamu.edu/smith/system_tools/systools.htm

Regards

Malcolm