[Year 12 SofDev] Teaching SD and ITA in the same classroom

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mon Oct 27 11:26:49 EST 2008

Hi John,

 A truly awful predicament. For over 12 years I have been teaching VET IT Cert III ,  Units 1 - 4 in the same room . The students at best get half a teacher and a not very high quality one at that if he/she has to multi task to get through a lesson. Class cohesion is also an issue as you have discovered I dare say . The only alternative is that neither class runs - an outcome I am less keen on.
 Next year I have a second dilemma apart from VET IT. I will have a Yr 11 IT class ( labelled Yr 11 IT "Programming" with 14 students ) but 2 other advanced Yr 11 students who want to do Software Development and I can only accommodate them if they sit in the Yr 11 class.  It is a price I am going to have to pay partly out of pride as it will allow SD to operate during the hopefully temporary dip in numbers in 2009 otherwise it will be the first time since 1990 that a yr 12 IT programming class has not run here. It is hoped the Yr 11 class will carry across to SD in 2010.

 As for your original question, one option I have used is to have everything on line in Moodle so students don't come in to a class staring at the teacher for the next pearl of wisdom before work commences as when that happens you can only address half the class while the other half looks bored or starts making trouble or talking about the weekend. With moodle, the whole year is mapped out and they simply open their class study design ( we call it the course page ) with a mapping of each Key knowledge item against the learning activities. I have a sample at www.edulists.com.au ( click SofDev, and timeline by myself ) for SD if you wish to see what I mean.

Good luck -  I think you'll need it !

Kind Regards

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> "EDWARDS. John" <edwajoh1 at lavalla.sale.catholic.edu.au> 27/10/2008 11:12 am >>>
Hi Everyone,

Since the year 12s have left I thought I might ask this question. This year I have taught ITA and SD in the same classroom at the same time this year. I have not been real happy with the way it went so I thought I would ask if there anyone else in the same predicament and if so how did you handle it? Or if anyone has some suggestions then I would be most grateful.

Many Thanks,

John Edwards
Lavalla Catholic College

The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and
delete the material from any system and destroy and copies.