[Year 12 SofDev] Network Diagrams - Physical or Logical

Neil Wallace neil at norwood.vic.edu.au
Fri Mar 28 14:24:40 EST 2008

You must also be marking SAC 1 now huh??? My comments below refer to the
network diagram as a physical diagram. I use the DFD's and Data Dictionaries
for logical representations in this SAC.

I get similar things Kevin, but I don't have a problem with the serial
representation. In many practical instances that kids are familiar with
firewall features are built into the switch and router. A home ADSL router
that provides firewall, VoIP, wireless and switching (OK maybe hub) services
is an example.

I usually walk the kids through what they may have at home, then tour the
server room and switch cabinets when doing the network structure side of
things.

So, please all shoot me down if I am out of line here, but as long as the
modem or router, firewall and switch are all in place in the network diagram
(in that order from external to internal) I feel OK with that.

And we haven't got to talking about DeMilitarised Zones for safety in
isolation of onsite servers yet either. . . .

Enjoy your break.

Neil Wallace
Norwood Secondary College