[Year 12 SofDev] RE: sofdev Digest, Vol 37, Issue 38

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Tue Mar 11 13:11:54 EST 2008

Hi Ross,

  No such thing as a dumb question.

Great examples of a physical vs logical design concepts are the following:

 1. 1 physical hard drive in your PC when you open the case but 4 logical hard drives ( C:. D:. E:, F: ) all running off the one Hard Drive.

 2. 1 physical network card in your PC but a number of logical cards that connect to different networks with different protocols ( IPX on Novell, IP on the Intenet, Appletalk on a MAC network ).

So in a systems design the logical concept may be to gather data on line and upload to a server.
The physical design may be to use an ADSL2+ line for the internet connection with a XYZ router with a modem module with Telstra as the ISP. The web server is to run on a Win 2003 server with IIS as the web server and the back end will be an SQL server using ASP to run the pages that allow input of data and saving to the database.

Hope that helps ....
If you have a specific example you wish to explore further perhaps post to the list for all to see.

Regards

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> "Ogilvie, Ross A" <ogilvie.ross.a at edumail.vic.gov.au> 10/03/2008 7:15 pm >>>
Hi all,

I hope I don't sound too dumb here but I have been trying to get my head around the difference between the physical and logical designs as they should appear in Unit 3 SAC1. I'm really not sure how the data for each should be represented.

Thanks for you time anyone.

Regards

Ross Ogilvie
LSF ICT Leader