[Year 12 SofDev] Copyright / authorship / solutions / ??

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 6 12:04:53 EST 2008

Ah - dammit.  Sorry, folks.  I thought Fatima had emailed me directly
and I was replying only to her.

Please forgive the largeish attachment.

Mark

Mark Kelly wrote:
> Ah - I didn't notice you were chasing SD stuff... I assumed it was ITA.
>  I don't know if there are SD QATs.  Your best bet is to check the VITTA
> resources.  There are SD SACs there.
>
> I will attach the U3 outcomes I used last year, which were approved by
> VCAA during their audit of my material.
>

> Fatima Nazar wrote:
>> Hello Mark,
>>
>> I have looked into QATs and even sent them an email (no reply as yet)
>> about SD - I am brand new to SD and would LOVE  to even buy some SACs
>> with suggested solutions as I would then know what can be an excellent
>> answer :) so let me know if you have some up your sleeve please
>>
>> Regards
>> Fatima
>> (have 2 SD classes)

>> Good points there, Adrian. I have a gut feeling that people feel rather
>> more intimidated writing SD outcomes than they do ITA.  It's that much
>> more complex.
>>
>> In a similar vein, I've just finished writing a commercial practice SD
>> exam and it took much more thinking than the equivalent ITA exam.
>>
>> Adrian Janson wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>

>>> This is a potentially tricky issue - and as one who often posts his SAC
>>> and theory materials to the lists - one that I must confess is a bit of
>>> a concern.
>>>

>>> Speaking personally, when I post my materials to the lists - I would
>>> like to think that those who are making use of them do so in the spirit
>>> in which they have been posted - giving credit where it is due and not
>>> altering things with a view to reposting them.  I think the part of this
>>> that is the most worrying is that some material did find its way back to
>>> me which I had originally authored and posted to the lists - but with
>>> another teachers name on it.
>>>

>>> It may well just need to be the case that when we post materials to the
>>> lists, we need to state (in the document as well as in the attached
>>> email), that the materials are free to use but may not be adapted or
>>> changed in any way without the permission of the author....  As I put
>>> the
>>> finishing touches on my 2008 SAC1 - I may well do this before I post it
>>> to the list?  I would be interested to know what others think of this?
>>>

>>> On another note - something which has been bothering me a great deal.
>>>

>>> After the review process took place last year and schools had the SACs
>>> and Assessments checked by VCAA - it became apparent that a large number
>>> of the sampled schools had used my SACs (more than half).  Of the
>>> remaining schools, many had used the VITTA SACs.  After posting the SACs
>>> to the lists, I had many requests for solutions which I tried to provide
>>> as best I could.  I don't mind doing this - however, I think this seems
>>> to suggest that there are few SD teachers creating their own original
>>> materials and/or solutions.
>>>

>>> Now - I don't mind doing the work and posting it for everyone to use.  I
> [...]

Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085 Fax +613 9578 9253

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

1. Education is an admirable thing, but remember that nothing that is
worth knowing can be taught - Oscar Wilde
2. I make trouble.  You want some? - Mark Kelly