[Year 12 SofDev] Algorithms, Netflix, Data mining

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Mar 4 08:27:07 EST 2008

In October 2006, Netflix announced it would give a cool seven figures to
whoever created a movie-recommending algorithm 10 percent better than
its own. Within two weeks, the DVD rental company had received 169
submissions, including three that were slightly superior to Cinematch,
Netflix's recommendation software. After a month, more than a thousand
programs had been entered, and the top scorers were almost halfway to
the goal.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/magazine/16-03/mf_netflix

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

You'll know when we are officially a civilised race: our schools have
all the money they need and the Air Force has to run a chook raffle to
buy a new bomber.