[Year 12 SofDev] tech help

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mon Feb 11 09:57:05 EST 2008

Hi Andrew,

 Of course the book is written in ver 6.06 and you are installing ver 7.10 .....

I am trying to prepare installation notes for ver 7.10 but haven't formatted and beautified them yet .....

Check the permissions on the student folder. Firstly, have the folders been created for each user ?  Does the owner of the folder have write rights ?
Drop to terminal and if the folder is in /var/www/student  go to /var/www and type ls -la and this will give owner for each folder eg. the student folder
Does the owner of the student folder have rwx rights ? The owner appears as the first triplet in the rights . It is ower, group and other eg. r--, rw-rwx means
owner(read only ), group (read, write only ), other or everyone ( read, write, exexute ). An unusual example, but that is the structure.

You need to connect by FTP as the owner of the folder. Then if you have the read and write rights you should be able to upload.
If the rights are not correct, use the command chmod u+rwx student. This gives the owner full rights to the folder student.

Over to you Andrew

Regards

Kevork

>>> "WEIR Andrew" <andrew.weir at thomascarr.vic.edu.au> 11/02/2008 9:35 am >>>
Dear all

Just finalizing a setup for php and mysql. (using kevorks book) For some
reason I can't actually seem to transfer files to the box. I can connect
via FTP but it won't upload. I seem to get permission issues.

I am using ubuntu 7.10.

Does any one have any suggestions. I have looked through the book a few
times and can't find it.

It seems to be the only issue I have now.

Andrew

Andrew Weir

Information Technology Co-ordinator

Thomas Carr College

35 Thomas Carr Drive,

Tarneit, VIC 3029

(P) (03) 9748-4466

(F) (03) 9748 4388

(E) andrew.weir at thomascarr.vic.edu.au

IMPORTANT! This email and any attachments may be confidential. If
received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Thomas Carr
College does not represent or warrant that the attached files are free
from computer viruses or other defects. The attached files are provided,
and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all
responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or
indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the
negligence of the sender or not. Any representations or opinions
expressed in this email are those of the individual sender, and not
necessarily those of Thomas Carr College.