[Year 12 SofDev] Re: Re: Industry practice

andrew barry jagguy999 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 13:02:22 EST 2008

Hi,

I believe a subject should produce quality outcomes. A programming course
that provides students with knowledge to create things like a 2D game is a
quality output. What is better that a student can complete  simple form that
calculates numbers compared to a a fully functional 2D game that is
graphical and uses a wide range of  functionality that a programming
language offers.

At the end of the course if parents/potential students  see an interesting
interactive piece of software compared to a form that calculates numbers
they are more likely to be impressed.
We could incorporate physics and maths into the course eg how an object
falls from a height using physics and use a program to demonstrate how this
looks. We can actually use what students have learnt in other subjects
making IT programming more integrated with other subjects. The scope is
huge.

I remember seeing yr9 students being impressed that we are creating such
software , they wanted to undertake IT as it looks like fun. Also schools
like to display students work for parents/teachers and quality software is
impressive.
Teachers like myself need to make an impact because of short term contract
work. A quality output is a good start to retain employment. Contract
employment is everywhere.

To learn gantt/pert charts takes weeks of constant work, DFD's takes weeks
to do properly, and why do we need  memorize such information like the
difference between a business object and a business goal in IT?

Why are students learning applications anyway like Access,Dreamweaver
because wont these change in years to come? Wasnt this an argument against
just learning a programming language?

Do woodwork students produce a finished item or do they produce a 2 bits of
wood with a join. Have they spent their other time constructing lengthy
designs, and doing essays about tree regrowth and how important this is too
society, or business models of wood factories?

Remember many teachers need to sell their subjects to get the numbers, and
we cant just rely on them turning up and going along with all our ideas of a
rounded education. I know we are in education but IT is subject (to a point)
of market forces.