[Year 12 SofDev] Industry practice - tertiary links

Steven Bird sb at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Apr 18 07:00:37 EST 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Timmer-Arends <timmer at melbpc.org.au> wrote:
> I have to say that this discussion is heading to Comp Sci circa 1990 (which
>  is not necessarily a bad thing)

Well, CS an obvious source of theory for an IT subject.  The theory on
which VCE Physics and Chemistry is based is older still, but no-one
considers that dated.

> but it seems to me that a couple of
> questions need  to be answered first:
>  1. what do we want students to get out of a technically-oriented Y12 IT course?
>  2. is the course primarily intended to prepare students for teritary, work, or both?

Another conceivable answer to q2 is that it is foundational study,
preparing students for whatever they choose to do in future, even if
it involves no formal IT study or employment.

For the students continuing from VCE Software Development to a degree
in Software Engineering, we would prefer students to have a solid
grounding in algorithmic problem solving and the associated
programming skills.  (The SDLC follows naturally once they're ready to
scale up.)

-Steven