[Year 12 SofDev] Resource flows in a DFD

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Wed Apr 16 10:57:27 EST 2008

Hi Steven,

Therefore , which design tools are used in your courses ?  Any use of UML ?
More broadly, are we out of date and currency here ?
 If so, the implications are teacher knowledge and required training to bring them up to date. If the 'structured design' paradigm is not popular then are we replacing it with the OOP paradigm or something else ?

Regards
Kevork

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> "Steven Bird" <sb at csse.unimelb.edu.au> 15/04/2008 9:44 am >>>
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Adrian Janson
<janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
>  Hmmm... interesting.  I must confess that this is the first time that I have
>  seen one.  In ways it makes a DFD a bit 'muddy' though - making it a mix of
>  physical and logical elements.  Not sure if I like it.  I am not sure if it
>  is industry standard - some others may know?

Data flow diagrams were part of the old "structured design" paradigm,
which isn't popular today.  Our introductory software engineering
subject at Melbourne University used to touch on data flow diagrams in
passing, until about 3 years ago...

Steven Bird
http://www.csse.unimelb.edu.au/~sb/